“Doula” is a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the family before, during and just after a birth.
DOULAS by the BAY offers educated and experienced Doulas during childbirth and the postpartum period.
A Birth Doula
Doulas have a positive impact on the well-being of the entire family.Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
Birth doula role is to:
- Recognize birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understand the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assist the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stay with the woman throughout the labor
- Provide emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions
- Facilitate communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceive her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience
- Allow the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level
A Postpartum Doula
Postpartum doula assists families during the period immediately following the birth of the baby.
Postpartum doula role is to:
- Empower parents with necessary skills to care for their newborn
- Help screening for mood disorders on the mother or family as a whole
- Offer education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum fourth trimester
- Assist with newborn care, family adjustment and meal preparation
- Help the mother to have a better start on breastfeeding
- Help dads and partners learn necessary skills to assist the mother on caring for the newborn
- Offer evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents
- Makes appropriate referrals when necessary